[CentOS] C7, systemd, say what?!

Wed Jun 7 15:13:04 UTC 2017

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 10:10:14AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I just updated a system - as in minutes ago, and log back in after it
>> reboots, and this is in dmesg:
>> [   88.202272] systemd-readahead[484]:
>> open(/var/tmp/dracut.fP4yj1/initramfs/usr/bin/loginctl) failed: Too many
>> levels of symbolic links
>> [   88.202515] systemd-readahead[484]:
>> open(/var/tmp/dracut.fP4yj1/initramfs/usr/lib/systemd/system/dracut-emergency.service)
>> failed: Too many levels of symbolic links
>> Anyone know what this is - some weird bug, a garbage message?
>
> systemd-readahead is just trying to pre-cache stuff into memory so boot
> time is faster. I'm not sure eaxctly what's going on here but that
> message is typical of having a loop in your symbolic links (which can
> easily happen with relative links).
>
> I'm not quite sure what *exactly* is going on, but it looks like maybe
> dracut temp files didn't get cleaned up properly and that they contain
> such a loop. I bet you can just rm -rf /var/tmp/dracut.fP4yj1.

Thanks for the info. Now, why it shouldn't have cleaned itself up when I
gave it the reboot command... I see too many (that's defined as more than
zero) cases where systemd WANTS TO BOOT FAST, and doesn't wait for things
to finish - sush as not getting the hostname from dhcp, and so having to
hardcode the name instead.

Systemd, as I've said before, seems to be targeted towards laptops. Not
servers. Not workstations. *bleah*

      mark