[CentOS] Markdown editor for CentOS 7?

Fri Jun 16 14:44:24 UTC 2017
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Jun 16, 2017, at 3:27 AM, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> For the time being, I'm using my good old Vim editor for writing it. I
> turned off syntax highlighting, since this produces random results with
> Markdown.

I write Markdown in Vim on CentOS 7 with the stock Markdown syntax highlighting rule set regularly, and I have never seen it mark text incorrectly.

What you may be running into here is that there are multiple flavors of Markdown, and some rendering engines are more forgiving of syntax variances than others.  The flavor tolerated by the Vim syntax file is fairly strict.  If you stick to what it considers acceptable, it should render correctly everywhere.

For example, many Markdown engines tolerate this:

* Bullet item 1
* Bullet item 2

But if you actually read the Markdown spec [1], you will find that the Vim syntax highlighter is right to reject it.  It should be:

*   Bullet item 1
*   Bullet item 2

That is, the text needs to start in the fourth column relative to the bullet.

The Vim Markdown rules also tend not to cope well with nonstandard Markdown extensions like ASCII art tables.  (Core Markdown only supports HTML <table>s.)

[1]: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

> I wonder if there's a good WYSIWYG
> editor for Markdown, or at least something where I can check locally
> what the page looks like.

I rarely see CentOS’s GUI, much less make enough use of it, but if I had to get a WYSIWYG Markdown view on CentOS, I’d do the same thing I do on Chrome OS: use StackEdit:

    https://stackedit.io