[CentOS] [CentOS 6] Possible bug in updating glibc?

Leam Hall

leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:40:57 UTC 2017

Hey all, not sure if this was operator error or what.

I'm running a KVM host on updated CentOS 6. The guest is built from the
CentOS 6.9 dvd1 with just @base and @core package groups.

When I went to install mysql it failed due to incompatibilities with the
libcc versions. Updated just glibc and glibc-common and then installed
mysql. Shortly there after it started to freeze and lost connection.

The KVM host is fairly beefy and mysql wasn't doing anything but running
with no queries or data. I rebooted the guest and it still had lock up
issues.

When I rebuilt the guest and did a full yum update, to include kernel
and kernel-headers, it seemed to run fine.

It seems like there's a dependency between glibc(-common) and something
else. Or do I misunderstand?

Thanks!

Leam