[CentOS] Upgrade 6 to 7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jun 3 13:46:13 UTC 2017

On 06/03/2017 06:32 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2017 09:45, "Gianluca Cecchi" <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Il 01 Giu 2017 10:13 PM, "Jerry Geis" <jerry.geis at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> I found this site https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool
>
> Is this still the case - there is no upgrade path from 6 to 7 ?
>
> I have a few remote servers I'd like to upgrade (if possible).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry
>

> It is supported, with some limitations, in rhel, so the same I think
> applies to CentOS.
> See here for rhel
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_
> Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/chap-
> Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-
> Upgrading.html#chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_
> Planning_Guide-Upgrading_from_RHEL6
>

> I suggest you pay attention to the big bold warning text stating that the
> tool is not supported on CentOS:
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

The CentOS Upgrade Tool needs a good team to manage it from the
community.  I have asked several times on this list for maintainers.  An
upgrade Special Interest Group could be started, or people could just
fork it and maintain it.  The Source Code for the Red Hat EL6 and EL7
tools are in git.centos.org, but they needs modification to work with
CentOS.

The above wiki page links the 3 important packages (preupgrade
assistant, upgrade tool, preupgrade assistant content)

openscap also needs to be modified to use these on CentOS.

Anyone willing to give it a go?  Check the wiki and the packages on
git.centos.org from the links on the wiki.