[CentOS] C6 or C7 for an old netbook

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 5 14:46:21 UTC 2017

On 06/05/2017 09:31 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I've got an old HP Netbook, which is just fine for taking with when I'm
> travelling, to check email and news. I have a very old Ubuntu
> netbook-remix on it, and it really, *really* needs to be updated to
> something current. I, of course, would prefer CentOS....
>
> The question is: I see that *if* the specs I just looked up (I'm at work,
> not home, where I could just turn it on, but they sound right) Atom N270
> CPU, 2G RAM, 160GB drive - what should I put on it, C6 or C7? Upgrading
> the memory's not going to happen, so it's got to live with that size.
>
> Opinions (please, no flame wars), just what will be most responsive on a
> machine this small?

1 GB RAM is the minimal to install/run CentOS-7, so that will run.  You
will have to try it to decide if it meets your requirements of usability.

I was using CentOS-7 on one of these with 2GB RAM, it worked OK:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-11-3000

I have since upgraded that machine to 8GB of RAM .. because I could ..
but I used it for a couple years at 2 GB w/ CentOS-7.