[CentOS] C6 or C7 for an old netbook

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 5 17:30:23 UTC 2017

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 06/05/2017 11:15 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 10:31:10AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> I've got an old HP Netbook, which is just fine for taking with when I'm
>>> travelling, to check email and news. I have a very old Ubuntu
>>> netbook-remix on it, and it really, *really* needs to be updated to
>>> something current. I, of course, would prefer CentOS....
>>>
>>> The question is: I see that *if* the specs I just looked up (I'm at
>>> work, not home, where I could just turn it on, but they sound right) Atom
>>> N270 CPU, 2G RAM, 160GB drive - what should I put on it, C6 or C7?
Upgrading
>>> the memory's not going to happen, so it's got to live with that size.
<snip>
>> I think the Atom N270 is a 32-bit processor, no?

I think so. Given the date, and the price (had I paid full price, it would
have been well under $400US)....

>> that means either no C7, or you will have to use the unofficial 32-bit
>> build, and I don't know if it is being kept up to date.
>>
>> also, 3rd-party repositories (epel, et al) aren't offering 32-bit
>> packages for C7, either, so if you depend on any of them for packages
>> you really care about (e.g., I can't use gnome-3.x, I use epel's
>> Mate Desktop packages) you'll be stuck.
>>
> We have an i386 version of CentOS-7 from the altarch SIG:
>
> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/i386
>
> It should theoretically work with that processor .. at least one could
> test it and see.

Mmmm... looks like I may go for C6, then, since unlike that Ubuntu, I will
want to do updates at least every time I get ready for a trip (other
times, it sits in the closet turned off).

And I really don't want fedora, with its 'how many updates today?!' That's
why I like CentOS: stability.

Thanks to all.

        mark