[CentOS] C7, systemd, say what?!

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Jun 7 20:27:36 UTC 2017

On Jun 7, 2017, at 1:02 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> every RPM that interacts with systemd will need to be 'fixed' to do it the old way, with init.d scripts. repositories like postgres, EPEL, etc won't work, either, as their C7 packaged daemons are all configured to use systemd.

That’s just skimming the surface.

The real hard bits come from the way systemd hooks into the whole FreeDesktop infrastructure and vice versa.  (e.g. dbus is now inextricably part of systemd, and many FreeDesktop interactions happen via dbus.)  This is why the BSDs are either dropping GNOME and KDE (e.g. Lumina in TrueOS) or have badly lagging ports compared to the upstream version.

I suspect it’s probably easier to start with C6, then backport as much as is possible without dragging in any systemd stuff, the same way the BSDs are doing.

Good luck to y’all.  Sincerely.  I plan to keep on using C7, warts and all.