[CentOS] systemd order help?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 12 16:02:42 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 03:47:46PM +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> I'm guessing I could use something like:
>
>   After=autofs.service
>   Before=graphical.target
>
> Is this correct?
>
> However, I would like to use the same systemd unit file on servers that
> won't run X - will the above work? Or is there a better/another way of
> doing this?

You probably want "display-manager.service" instead of
"graphical.target".

You also will want "Requires=autofs.service". The distinction between
"After/Before" and "Requires" is exactly for the reason you give; the
ordering directives don't require anything, so without
display-manager.service enabled, Before=display-manager.service is just
a no-op. Actually, you might even want "BindsTo=autofs.service", which
is stronger.

Depending on your setup, you many want to look at converting your
automatic mounts into systemd mounts, and depend on that directly,
rather than on the autofs service.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>