[CentOS] GPX files

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Mon Jun 19 12:05:03 UTC 2017

Hi Martin,

On 31/05/17 00:02, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> I have a Garmin 78s marine GPS receiver and it stores tracks in GPX
> format.  This is an XML encoded set of points giving longitude,
> latitude, time and sea depth.  Garmin support viewing this via their
> Garmin Express product, but there only seem to be Windows and Mac
> versions.  I've emailed them and await a reply.  In the mean time, does
> anyone know of any Linux products that will emable me to view track data
> on a decent sized screen?  I don't want to re-invent the wheel by coding
> up a hack myself.

I road travel quite a bit, and have a Garmin Dezl 760D with my own
profiles on there. In both of my trucks, I've got gps recievers running
off raspberry pi3's, running CentOS7/armv7 images. I bring all this
together on my laptop, running viking and gpsbabel under the hood.

This allows me to do all my route planning on either google-maps,
google-earth, or viking and all the tracks from the different devices
come together as layers. The POI tracking and specially the topo
tracking on viking is pretty good. There is no viable road-route planner
that works on Linux at this point though.

Thats the one thing that the garmin apps do really well. As a
workaround, I've used viamichelin to good effect ( and wikiloc ); and
all the tools and bits you need to track and refactor on the road, come
together really well on CentOS.

HTH

--
Karanbir Singh