[CentOS] [OT]multi-master DNS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Mon Jun 26 23:49:47 UTC 2017

Bind does not have a method to do multi-master replication.  All updates must be done via an intermediary service (database).

In our case, we've used containers and Consul for providing a highly available DNS service.  A container will fire up and race for the master lock.  It will dump the contents of the database into its named configurations and assuming it has the lock will assume the IP address of the master.  Others just come up as slaves.

If the master lock is not renewed after a given period of time another container can acquire the lock and become master by assuming the IP address of master (VRRP/VRID/KeepAliveD)