[CentOS] more recent perl version?

Fri Jun 2 11:13:17 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Warren Young wrote:
> On May 24, 2017, at 1:58 PM, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>>
>> It seems that lighttpd uses the perl version that is assigned in
>> the configuration
>
> This is one of the advantages of Plack vs mod_perl, by the way: decoupling the Perl version from the web server version.
>
>> while ignoring the LIBRARY_PATH variable set with mod_setenv
>
> Are you certain you don’t mean LD_LIBRARY_PATH here?
>
>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4250624/

I was looking at the output of 'env' when perl524 was enabled and
verified that when having LIBRARY_PATH set in the shell, the library
is being found.

It would require further testing to find out if setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
makes a difference.

However, I even created a symlink to the library and it still couldn´t
be loaded, so this is just weird.

>> Even with a shell script as wrapper that sets and exports LIBRARY_PATH,
>> perl can not find the library.  Trying to set LIBRARY_PATH for lighttpd
>> through systemd also doesnīt work.
>
> Beware that some layers of the OS actively redefine LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to avoid security exploits.  I wouldn’t be surprised if systemd did that in some cases, for good cause.

It needs to at least present a warning it decides to override things
explicitly set by the admin, like in a unit file.

Anyway, I´ve given up on this, and the current plan is to use a VM or
another machine with a different distribution to provide the service.
That will probably be Debian, and we have a VM running Debian anyway,
so I might just use that.