[CentOS] [CentOS 6] Possible bug in updating glibc?

Fri Jun 2 13:39:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 06:40:57AM -0400, Leam Hall wrote:
> I'm running a KVM host on updated CentOS 6. The guest is built from the
> CentOS 6.9 dvd1 with just @base and @core package groups.
>
> When I went to install mysql it failed due to incompatibilities with the
> libcc versions. Updated just glibc and glibc-common and then installed
> mysql. Shortly there after it started to freeze and lost connection.
>
> The KVM host is fairly beefy and mysql wasn't doing anything but running
> with no queries or data. I rebooted the guest and it still had lock up
> issues.
>
> When I rebuilt the guest and did a full yum update, to include kernel and
> kernel-headers, it seemed to run fine.
>
> It seems like there's a dependency between glibc(-common) and something
> else. Or do I misunderstand?

How did you update the software?  If you had just run 'yum install
mysql' it should have pulled in all the dependencies.  Did you run a
'yum update' before trying to install mysql?

Its possible that your mirrors are out of sync and your system is
talking to a mirror with older RPMs, but without an actual error log,
its hard to tell what's going on.