[CentOS] C6 or C7 for an old netbook

Wed Jun 7 16:39:59 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/06/2017 02:53 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Mmmm... looks like I may go for C6, then, since unlike that Ubuntu, I
>> will
>> want to do updates at least every time I get ready for a trip (other
>> times, it sits in the closet turned off).
>
> I went for C6 on a Samsung NC10 (1.6GHz Atom N270 1GB RAM), only because it
> refused to boot off the C7 ISO for some reason, and I didn't want to waste
> time tracking down why.

Because that is a 32-bit (not 64-bit) processor.  There is an AltArch
32-bit CentOS-7 distro as well:

http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/i386/

> Works like a charm without any fiddling with an alternate DE like I
> would have
> with C7.  I have no complaints.

C6 does also use less resources than CentOS-7, so this might be the best
bet in any event, but I did want to point out an alternative does exist.

Things like EPEL and ElRepo do not exist for the CentOS-7 32-bit distro
either, so the experience is somewhat limited as well.