[CentOS] systemd services and Restart?

Wed Jun 28 15:05:10 UTC 2017
Leroy Tennison <leroy at datavoiceint.com>

Although not on CentOS, I've been forced to use it with serial-getty at .service (even after enabling and starting it) to get the OS to display a console prompt after an OS upgrade.  In this case I used Restart=on-success and RestartSec=5 (the latter an arbitrary value) because agetty exited after the first console disconnect.

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Pearson" <james-p at moving-picture.com>
To: "centos" <centos at centos.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:54:43 AM
Subject: [CentOS] systemd services and Restart?

I've been trying out the Restart= option in some of my own systemd
service unit files - which appears to work fine

However, I notice that this option is only used in a few OS provided
service unit files - and was wondering about the wisdom of adding this
capability to other daemons/services? (e.g. chronyd or ntpd, crond,
rpcbind, etc, etc) - not that these daemons are likely to crash and need
restarting that often ...

Previously, I've used custom scripts to monitor the state of key daemons
and restart or report their status as appropriate - but as systemd has
'Restart' and 'OnFailure' capabilities build in, these options could
potentially make (my) life a bit easier ...

Are there any potential pit-falls in using Restart with OS provided
daemons/services?

Thanks

James Pearson