[CentOS] rsync and cause/source of an empty file

Fri Jun 30 20:42:41 UTC 2017
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

We transfer files from a VAN provider at 15 minute intervals using
rsync over ssh.  The setup is somewhat complicated in that the VAN
will not permit direct rsync access and so we establish the link via
sshfs and then mount remote location as local.

My question is, given the above conditions and the following rsync
command:

/usr/bin/rsync --chmod=o+r --chmod=g+w --itemize-changes
--remove-sent-files --times /var/spool/imanet/pick_up/*
/var/spool/imanet/drop_off

Under what circumstances would a file containing data at the remote
end (/var/spool/imanet/pick_up/) arrive at our end
(/var/spool/imanet/drop_off) as an empty file?  No transmission errors
were logged and multiple files were transferred during the same
session. All but one arrived with their contents intact.

Canada  L8E 3C3