[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Wed Mar 8 10:52:38 UTC 2017
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Giles Coochey wrote:

> Not really, Redhat/Centos has a lot to offer, but for me, networking is a
> one-time configuration, and the best way to configure it is using something
> that falls within this principle:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
>
> I'm not flaming NetworkManager, I'm just stating that for many (perhaps
> most), it is over-engineered for a server orientated distribution. I can run
> with the script above on 30 server instances, and it doesn't, as yet, break
> any of the other features of Centos that I enjoy.

It means you're stuck in your own hand crafted niche.  Which is fine, but it's
up to you to maintain the niche, or you find yourself using obsolete tools
like ifconfig and route.

I'd argue there's a gulf between keeping things simple and doing things your
own way.

jh