[CentOS] Up to date guide/information Sendmail SMTP Auth

Wed Mar 8 21:57:16 UTC 2017
Mark Weaver <mweaver at compinfosystems.com>

On 03/08/2017 11:00 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've been googling my brains out since yesterday looking for up-to-date
> > information on this matter, and have found information that is
> anywhere from
> > 15 to 5 years old. I'd really like some information that much more
> up to date
> > on the subject. Specifically configuring Sendmail SMTP
> authentication (_no
> > smart host stuff_).
>
> I wrote this article years ago:
>
> https://www.madboa.com/geek/sendmail-auth/
>
> The configuration outlined there is essentially unchanged today. I
> have it running on a CentOS 7 machine with sendmail 8.14.
>
> The only real change is the SOCKETDIR setting in
> /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd, which is now /run/saslauthd (rather than
> /var/run/saslauthd). And, of course, I use systemctl rather
> thachkconfig to control boot-time behavior.
>
> The trickier bit for me was stopping and restarting the whole SMTP
> toolchain, which includes spamassassin, clavav, and opendmarc. Below
> my .sig, I've included the shell script I use for that.
>
> --
> Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <mailto:heinlein at madboa.com> <>
> http://www.madboa.com/
Hi Paul,

I followed your guide to the letter, however I think it seems I missed
something. When I test with telnet to port 25 this is the result:

 > telnet merlin 25
Trying 10.10.3.6...
Connected to merlin.ciss.local.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mdw1982.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.7/8.13.8; Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:53:31 -0500
ehlo merlin
250-mdw1982.com Hello [10.10.3.102], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
 > auth login
504 5.3.3 AUTH mechanism login not available

thoughts?