[CentOS] CentOS-5 End of Life

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 06:50:55 UTC 2017

On 2 Mar 2017 03:49, "John R Pierce" <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

On 3/1/2017 7:28 PM, Tom Munro Glass wrote:

> Can you say exactly when in early April the tree will be moved? I have a
> number of installations that need to continue running CentOS 5 so I'd like
> to do a final update before the tree moves.

may I suggest building your own mirror well before then, update it with
rsync or lftp weekly (or even daily), from http://mirrors.xmission.com/ce
ntos/5  (pick your favorite mirror to make the mirror from), and replace
your CentOS-xxx.repo files with ones that point to your private repo

I use a command like this to mirror everything and incrementally update,
you could change the last centos to centos/5  if you want to just fetch and
update that...

   lftp -c 'open ftp://mirrors.sonic.net && lcd /mirrors && mirror
   --continue --verbose=1 -x SRPMS centos'

(yes, you do need to find a ftp mirror, i had issues mirroring from an http
server).

This is especially important if you use anything from EPEL as EPEL5 will be
removed when RHEL goes EOL.