[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:10:25 UTC 2017

On 8 March 2017 at 10:58, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:

> On 08/03/17 10:52, John Hodrien wrote:
>>

>> It means you're stuck in your own hand crafted niche.  Which is fine, but
>> it's
>> up to you to maintain the niche, or you find yourself using obsolete tools
>> like ifconfig and route.
>>
>> I'd argue there's a gulf between keeping things simple and doing things
>> your
>> own way.
>>
> I'm sure there are drop in replacements for ifconfig and route, but even if
> deprecated I have not needed to revisit that script for many years, so I'm
> not changing it.
> When it does eventually break I have to look at four lines to discover where
> the problem might be, I can troubleshoot it by trying to run each line
> manually and see what is going on.
>
> When qw hit a bug in NetworkManager that breaks something specific that
> you're doing then you can try to raise a bug with upstream, or you could try
> to review the thousands of lines of code that make it up and try to fix the
> problem yourself.
>
> Or perhaps you'll do what I did, remove it and put in a 4 line script.

That's nice ... but what you've provided is terrible advice that
doesn't handle a wide range of scenarios such as teaming, bonding,
vlans, bridging, network interface changes, race conditions of things
dependent on networking or acting as part of the network.target or
network-online.target systemd units which declare when network is
ready ...

If you want to do something unsupportable in any sane environment that
is on you ... but really please don't suggest to those who don't know
better to carry out such activities.