[CentOS] Firefox for CentOS

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Mar 9 15:42:18 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 09:01 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>> noticed
>> (45.8)

>> the

>> channel
>> overlapp

>>> This is the point that worries me. If ESR 52.x requires GTK3, then how
>> can
>>> it be supported on CentOS 6?
>>>

>> They will include it and build it as part of firefox.  They already
>> build and use a new gcc (4.8) and other new things (binutils, yasm) in
>> EL6 to build the current firefox there.
>>
>> I'm sure they will add in things they need and include them in the built
>> RPMs as required.
>>

> OK, thanks for reassuring me! :)

For the record, I just checked and the released SRPM for EL7 has the
proper variables and sources and actually builds on EL6.  It uses gtk2
from el6 to build.

They obviously felt more comfortable instead released the older one on
EL6 this cycle, but I suspect that the newer 52.x ESR version will be
released during the next cycle.