[CentOS] CentOS-6.8 fsck report Maximal Count

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Mar 10 17:45:45 UTC 2017

On Mar 10, 2017, at 9:28 AM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, March 10, 2017 9:52 am, Warren Young wrote:

>>> If not fsck then what?
>>
>> badblocks(8).
>
> And I definitely will unmount relevant filesystem(s) before using
> badblocks…

You don’t necessarily have to.  The default mode of badblocks is a non-invasive read-only test which is safe to run on a mounted filesystem.

That said, a read-only badblocks pass can give a false “no errors” report in cases where a non-destructive read-then-write pass (-n) will show errors.

Alternatively, a read-only pass may show an error that a read-then-write pass will silently bury by forcing the drive to relocate the bad sector.

In extreme cases, you could potentially fix a problem with a read-random-random-write pass (-n -t random -t random) because that will statistically flip all the bits at least twice, which may rub the drive’s nose in a bad sector, forcing a reallocation where a normal read-then-write pass (-n alone) may not.

Hard drives are weird.  It is only through the grace of ECC and such that they approximate deterministic behavior as well as they do.