[CentOS] Using environment variables in mariadb

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Mar 15 04:07:36 UTC 2017

On 03/14/2017 06:29 PM, Richard wrote:

>> Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 14:53:01 -0700
>> From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
>>
>> I want to script a rather simple create database operation.  Thing
>> is, I have to provide the password for that database.  I would like
>> to do this with an environment variable, but the simple approach
>> dose not work:
>>
>> mailpswd=charlie
>>
>> mysql -u root -p
>>
>> CREATE DATABASE mailfix;
>> CREATE USER 'mailfix'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY $mailpswd;
>> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mailfix` . * TO 'mailfix'@'localhost';
>>
>> Of course the mysql command needs the mysql root password, but that
>> is as expected.  But mysql will not process $mailpswd, not
>> surprisingly.
>>
>> I know I could create a file with these commands, sed the password
>> into the file, then pipe thr file into mysql.  I would rather do
>> this directly without a temp file.
>>
> Using the "-e --execute" option you can execute mysql/mariadb
> commands from the command line, one at a time. You don't have to put
> them into a file first. That should allow you to do what you're
> after, including doing variable substitution of the password on the
> line you want to execute. You can also put the mysql root pw on that
> line with substitution so no prompting is involved.

I saw this, and at first did not like it, as how to manage the mysql
root password, so I found how to use here doc:

mysql -u root -p <<EOF || exit 1
CREATE DATABASE postfix;
CREATE USER postfix at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "$Postfix_Database_Password";
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON postfix.* TO postfix at localhost;
EOF

next refinement is:

mysql -u root -p$mysql_root_Password <<EOF || exit 1