[CentOS] Centos-6.8 fsck and lvms

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Sat Mar 18 17:46:18 UTC 2017

I have a CentOS-6.8 system which has a suspected HHD failure.  I have
booted it into rescue mode from a CentOS-6.5 minimal install CD in
order to run fsck -c on it.  The system hosts several vms.  I have
activated the lvs associated with these vm using pvscan -s ; vgscan ;
vgchange -ay.  An lvscan shows the lvs as ACTIVE.  None are mounted.

When I try to run fsck on any of them I see the following error:

fsck from util-linux-ng.2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12.(17-May-2010)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/vg. . .

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or simething else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Trying to find alternate super-blocks proves futile:

dump2fs /dev/sda2 | grep -i superblock
dump2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
dump2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock

The file systems on this host were all created as type ext4 and all
are lvs with the exception of /boot, which is not an lv and has its
own partition on /dev/sda1.

I infer that the HDD is gone the way of all flesh; or ferrite as the
case may be.  But, my ignorance on this is profound so if I am missing
some form of recovery step I would appreciate some guidance on how to
proceed.

Thanks,

Canada  L8E 3C3