[CentOS] Up to date guide/information Sendmail SMTP Auth

Mark Weaver mweaver at compinfosystems.com
Sun Mar 19 11:47:10 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 10:58 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Usually, testsaslauthd needs a service name. In this case,
>
> testsaslauthd -u username -p mypassword -s smtp
>
> If your password has any characters a shell might misinterpret (*, !,
> <, >, &, ...), make sure you enclose it in quotation marks.
>
> What have you seen in your logs (usually /var/log/maillog on CentOS
> systems)? If sendmail is having trouble setting up TLS/SSL, it will
> let you know!
>
> You may have to post the entire contents of your sendmail.mc (the m4
> file), redacted as necessary to obscure any non-relevant bits that may
> be sensitive.

Alexander... Paul,

My apologies for taking so long to reply. I did get everything worked
out and if I'm honest I had to go through all the crap I went through to
get everything work; including TLS. Working with MS Exchange and other
MS server environment products, not to mention all the other things
included in that, have made my linux skills rather rusty.

Now that I've done it and actually understand what's going on I can't
believe how blasted easy it really is and feel a little foolish; mostly
for allowing my Linux skills to get rusty to begin with. Hell! my CentOS
5 server simply runs, doesn't complain, doesn't break down or choke and
puke on updates. (thats one of the reasons I use to justify my skills
getting rusty. ;P )

But, thank you gentlemen for your assistance. It is appreciated.

Now... one last question: Is it better to use self-signed certs for
Sendmail, or is it better to get CA Authority signed certs for sendmail?
I get all my web server certs from Go Daddy, but from what I've read so
far Sendmail seems to experience issues with CA Authority signed certs
that contain a common name and I /believe/ certs from places like Go
Daddy require the common name field no be empty.

thanks in advance...