[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Wed Mar 8 09:44:13 UTC 2017
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 8 March 2017 at 06:56, Andreas Benzler <andreas at benzlerweb.de> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> update my post, because of a route from ipv6 on same networkcard,
> with only ipv4 enabled
>
> Sincerely
>
> Andy

Please accept this as honest constructive criticism from someone who
also likes to blog.

On EL7 this is really bad advice:

> systemctl stop NetworkManager; systemctl disable NetworkManager; systemctl mask NetworkManager

You may be interested in this article of mine:
https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8

The recommended configuration for EL7 is to use NetworkManager unless
you have a very specific edge case preventing you from doing so:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/783533

The legacy network service is in effect deprecated, like net-tools
was, as no new features are being released for it and no RFE's are
being accepted. All future work is on NetworkManager.

Note as well this article was last updated in 2014 - NetworkManager
has been updated to handle more use cases than back then.

As always it's best to check with the upstream documentation:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/index.html

Finally there was nothing to do with IPv6 in your article.

That address was an IPv4 address and the zeroconf stuff configures the
169.254.0.0/16 network as a 'local link' network on that interface.

If it was IPv6 it would have an address like
fe80::33bb:5a14:be57:1690/64 ... which is an IPv6 link local address.

Regards,

James