[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Wed Mar 8 10:43:57 UTC 2017
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On 08/03/17 10:38, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Giles Coochey wrote:
>
>> ifconfig enp0s25 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> route add default gw 192.168.0.254 enp0s25
>> echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
>> echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Oh okay, you really do want to back away from Redhat entirely. That's
> entirely your choice.
>
> What you end up with if you take this approach widely is effectively
> your own
> linux distribution.

Not really, Redhat/Centos has a lot to offer, but for me, networking is
a one-time configuration, and the best way to configure it is using
something that falls within this principle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

I'm not flaming NetworkManager, I'm just stating that for many (perhaps
most), it is over-engineered for a server orientated distribution. I can
run with the script above on 30 server instances, and it doesn't, as
yet, break any of the other features of Centos that I enjoy.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey
+44 (0) 7584 634 135