[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Wed Mar 8 11:19:13 UTC 2017
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 8 March 2017 at 11:15, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:
> On 03/08/2017 01:57 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:
>>

>>> The recommended configuration for EL7 is to use NetworkManager unless
>>> you have a very specific edge case preventing you from doing so:
>>>
>> The truth is a lot of us run servers that don't need to have their
>> network "managed" by Networkmanager.
>>

> My experience was very difficult going to 7.2 to 7.3 because of a change in
> the behavior of NetworkManager with respect to IPv6 but once I had it
> figured out (thanks to people on this list) it worked out quite well and I
> kept NetworkManager.
>
> But I certainly understand why some don't want to do that.

That's fine Alice (and I remember your issue well with the minimally
documented change to stable-privacy by default for new systems ...
argh I still need to write up a blog article about that) but in this
case the person concerned isn't even using the network service, which
if legacy and semi-deprecated is still supported, but just doing a
ridiculous and unsupportable mini script (I'm guessing from rc.local?)
which doesn't handle pretty much any actual networking issue that may
come up - eg failed/delayed interface.