[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Wed Mar 8 12:25:39 UTC 2017
David Both <dboth at millennium-technology.com>

On 03/08/2017 05:43 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:

> On 08/03/17 10:38, John Hodrien wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Giles Coochey wrote:
>>
>>> ifconfig enp0s25 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>> route add default gw 192.168.0.254 enp0s25
>>> echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
>>> echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> Oh okay, you really do want to back away from Redhat entirely. That's
>> entirely your choice.
>>
>> What you end up with if you take this approach widely is effectively
>> your own
>> linux distribution.
>>
> Not really, Redhat/Centos has a lot to offer, but for me, networking
> is a one-time configuration, and the best way to configure it is using
> something that falls within this principle:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
>
> I'm not flaming NetworkManager, I'm just stating that for many
> (perhaps most), it is over-engineered for a server orientated
> distribution. I can run with the script above on 30 server instances,
> and it doesn't, as yet, break any of the other features of Centos that
> I enjoy.

I do not agree with your conclusions about NetworkManager.  First, I use
it on several servers and firewalls that - theoretically at least -
should never change. Some of the most tiresome problems I have had to
fix were what happened due to renaming of NICs after replacing a bad
one, or a 100Mb with a Gb NIC, or adding a new NIC to connect with a new
network. NetworkManager keeps NIC naming consistent with no surprises. I
am getting ready to install two new NICs in a firewall/router that
already has two NICs and I am not dreading that change as I would have
with the old network service.

I have had excellent results with NetworkManager and am very happy with
it. I see it as a significant improvement over the old network service.
If you are concerned about performance issues - don't worry - you won't
have any. It works fine on my RaspberryPI forewall/router using CentOS 7
for ARM and on my ancient EeePC that runs a full installation of Fedora 25.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.