[CentOS] Up to date guide/information Sendmail SMTP Auth

Wed Mar 8 23:42:20 UTC 2017
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Mark Weaver wrote:

> On 03/08/2017 11:00 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>>  On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Mark Weaver wrote:
>>
>> >  Hello all,
>> >
>> >  I've been googling my brains out since yesterday looking for
>> >  up-to-date information on this matter, and have found
>> >  information that is anywhere from 15 to 5 years old. I'd really
>> >  like some information that much more up to date on the subject.
>> >  Specifically configuring Sendmail SMTP authentication (_no smart
>> >  host stuff_).
>>
>>  I wrote this article years ago:
>>
>>  https://www.madboa.com/geek/sendmail-auth/
>>
>>  The configuration outlined there is essentially unchanged today. I
>>  have it running on a CentOS 7 machine with sendmail 8.14.
>>
>>  The only real change is the SOCKETDIR setting in
>>  /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd, which is now /run/saslauthd (rather than
>>  /var/run/saslauthd). And, of course, I use systemctl rather
>>  thachkconfig to control boot-time behavior.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I followed your guide to the letter, however I think it seems I
> missed something. When I test with telnet to port 25 this is the
> result:
>
>>  telnet merlin 25
> Trying 10.10.3.6...
> Connected to merlin.ciss.local.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mdw1982.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.7/8.13.8; Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:53:31 -0500
> ehlo merlin
> 250-mdw1982.com Hello [10.10.3.102], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
>>  auth login
> 504 5.3.3 AUTH mechanism login not available
>
> thoughts?

Many. :-)

Check your mail log for clues.

Ensure you have a valid SSL certificate and key. Sendmail is touchy
about permissions on the key file. Try googling for
confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL and GroupReadableKeyFile.

Make sure saslauthd is configured and running.

Compile your .mc (m4) file with the macros distributed with the
version of sendmail you're actually running. This line suggests you're
not:

mdw1982.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.7/8.13.8

That's a first stab at things to try.