[CentOS] CentOS-6.8 fsck report Maximal Count

Fri Mar 10 13:32:57 UTC 2017
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Thu, March 9, 2017 09:46, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, James B. Byrne wrote:
>
>> This indicated that a bad sector on the underlying disk system might
>> be the source of the problem.  The guests were all shutdown, a
>> /forcefsck file was created on the host system, and the host system
>> remotely restarted.
>
> fsck's not good at finding disk errors, it finds filesystem errors.

If not fsck then what?

> If it was a real disk issue, you'd expect matching errors in the host
> logs.

Yes, there are:

Mar  9 09:14:13 vhost03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
sector 1236929063
Mar  9 09:14:30 vhost03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
sector 1236929063
Mar  9 09:14:48 vhost03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
sector 1236929063

I am running an extended SMART test on the drive at the moment. I
suspect that the drive is probably at its EOL for practical purposes.
So likely we will be looking at an equipment upgrade given the age of
the rest of the equipment.

In the meantime what steps, if any, should I take to remediate this
problem?

>> /var/log/messages:Mar  9 08:34:48 vhost03 kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-6):
>> warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
>
> Unmount it and run fsck on it, and that message would go away.  But
> I'd not
> worry about that one.
>
> jh

Canada  L8E 3C3