[CentOS] Using environment variables in mariadb

Wed Mar 15 01:29:46 UTC 2017
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 14:53:01 -0700
> From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
>
> I want to script a rather simple create database operation.  Thing
> is, I have to provide the password for that database.  I would like
> to do this with an environment variable, but the simple approach
> dose not work:
>
> mailpswd=charlie
>
> mysql -u root -p
>
> CREATE DATABASE mailfix;
> CREATE USER 'mailfix'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY $mailpswd;
> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mailfix` . * TO 'mailfix'@'localhost';
>
> Of course the mysql command needs the mysql root password, but that
> is as expected.  But mysql will not process $mailpswd, not
> surprisingly.
>
> I know I could create a file with these commands, sed the password
> into the file, then pipe thr file into mysql.  I would rather do
> this directly without a temp file.

Using the "-e --execute" option you can execute mysql/mariadb
commands from the command line, one at a time. You don't have to put
them into a file first. That should allow you to do what you're
after, including doing variable substitution of the password on the
line you want to execute. You can also put the mysql root pw on that
line with substitution so no prompting is involved.