[CentOS] OT: hardware: blackmagic video capture cards

Thu Mar 16 19:15:19 UTC 2017
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 3/16/2017 11:38 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Thanks, but no. IP cameras are explicitly right out. I said "secure rooms"
> (no, no, these are not server rooms, "Server Room" requires serious
> paperwork, etc....) but they*are*  secure. We want no one able to connect
> but us. And we've already got some perfectly good cameras that run BNC.
> The reason I'm back to looking is the BT878 cards we have work fine... on
> older, non-Dell servers. Firmware updates? What are those? A few years
> ago, I tried tracking down the manufacturer... who got sold, and sold
> again, and IIRC, sold again. I tried contacting the final owner, and got
> no answer whatever.
>
> So, we were looking for a newer capture card. These Blackmagic are PCIe; I
> think the BT878's are PCI, or maybe PCI-x, and personally, I think there's
> an issue in the chip Dell uses on their m/b to convert - it's a TI chip.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the thought.
>
> Oh, right... and we would not want a camera that we can't update the
> firmware, and might be sending info back to China, or maybe it's being
> used in a DDoS attack via the IoT....

thats why you would put them on an isolated network attached only to a
dedicated PoE switch, and a 2nd NIC on your video server.

but whatever.      these BNC cameras, are they SD (480i) analog
composite video or HD/SD cameras with digital single-link SDI ? that
blackmagic card is for SDI digital cameras.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-31
nothing there about NTSC/PAL Composite analog input.