[CentOS] CentOS-6.8 fsck report Maximal Count

Mon Mar 20 04:53:15 UTC 2017
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017, 7:41 AM James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, March 10, 2017 11:57, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>

> > Looks like only one sector's bad. Running badblocks should,
> > I think, mark that sector as bad, so the system doesn't try
> > to read or write there. I've got a user whose workstation has
> > had a bad sector running for over a year. However, if it
> > becomes two, or four, or 64 sectors, it's replacement
> > time, asap.
> > <snip>
>

> Bear with me on this.  The last time I did anything like this I ended
> up having to boot into recovery mode from an install cd and do this by
> hand.  This is not an option in the present circumstance as the unit
> is a headless server in a remote location.
>
> If I do this:
>
> echo '-c' > /fsckoptions
> touch /forcefsck
> shutdown -r now
>
> Will this repair the bad block and bring the system back up? If not
> then what other options should I use?
>
> The bad block is located in an LV assigned to a libvirt pool
> associated with a single vm.  Can this be checked and corrected
> without having to deal with the base system? If so then how?

You'll need to search the smartmontools site for their doc on bad sectors.
There's a how to, to find what file is affected by the bad sector so you
can replace it. That's the only way to fix the problem.

This gets tricky going through LVM.

Chris Murphy