[CentOS] firewalld management on a headless server

Thu Mar 30 18:47:55 UTC 2017
Mark Milhollan <mlm at pixelgate.net>

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>On 03/29/2017 07:38 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:

>>We have good results with http://www.shorewall.net/ an iptables
>>"abstraction".
>>Despite its not a GUI, the streamlined configuration helps to be effective.
>
>From what I can determine, it is still iptables.  Not firewalld.

That's what Leon said, shorewall is an iptables abstraction, and
iptables is a command that manipulates netfilter.

FirewallD is similar in that it abstracts and simplifies using netfilter
without using the iptables command.  Which has a GUI that can be used
remotely but it is not web based as requested.  Fedora's CoPilot
probably has a module for it, but I don't know that it can be used with
a CentOS based server.  Webmin likely has a module for it by now.

/mark