[CentOS] CentOS 6.9, shredding a RAID

Wed May 31 16:57:37 UTC 2017
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 5/31/2017 8:04 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I've got an old RAID that I attached to a box. LSI card, and the RAID has
> 12 drives, for a total RAID size of 9.1TB, I think. I started shred
> /dev/sda the Friday before last... and it's still running. Is this
> reasonable for it to be taking this long...?

not at all surprising, as that raid sounds like its built with older
slower drives.

I would discombobulate the raid, turn it into 12 discrete drives, and use

     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=65536

on each drive, running these concurrently

unless that volume has data that requires military level destruction,
where upon the proper method is to run the drives through a grinder so
they are metal filings.     the old DoD multipass erasure specification
is long obsolete and was never that great.