[CentOS] External drive, BackupPC service, and booting

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed May 3 20:20:09 UTC 2017

I'm using an external drive with BackupPC on CentOS 7. I currently have a
mount entry like this in fstab:

/dev/disk/by-label/backuppc4              /var/lib/BackupPC       ext4
noauto,rw       0 0

This means I must manually mount the drive and then start the backuppc
service.

Is there a way to set up hotplugging so that the drive is mounted if
present at boot time but doesn't stop the boot if it's not present or
otherwise fails? I see the fstab nofail option. Will that do what I want?

Is there a way to set up the backuppc service (through systemd) so that it
starts if and only if the drive is present, or starts if the drive is
plugged in later?

---