[CentOS] running tomcat as non-root user.. (/var/run pidfile issue)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu May 4 16:35:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, 4 May 2017, Jason Welsh wrote:

> hey folks, we are migrating our tomcat setup over to centos 7. Im
> converting init-scripts over to systemd services and whatnot.. One
> thing that Ive noticed is that my systemd startup script cant seem
> to write to /var/run as a non-root user to drop a pidfile.. If I
> create a directory in /var/run owned by my user, it gets wiped out
> on reboot.
>
> Ive searched and found this
>
> https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/93-Handling-varrun-with-systemd.html
>
> which says to use ExecStartPre to fudge creating directories in
> /var/run so what non-root users can write there..
>
> Is that the suggested way to do this? It seems awful kludgey.

There are a couple of systemd-ish ways to handle this: tmpfiles or
within the tomcat service file.

The canonical method is to drop a configuration into /etc/tmpfiles.d/:

# /etc/tmpfiles.d/tomcat.conf
# this assumes tomcat daemon runs as user tomcat and
# group tomcat. alter as necessary.
d /run/tomcat 0700 tomcat tomcat -

See the systemd-tmpfiles(8) and tmpfiles.d(5) man pages. After you
install that file, do

   systemd-tmpfiles --create

The second method is to add an ExecStartPre to
/usr/lib/systemd/system/tomcat.service, e.g.,

[Service]
Type=simple
EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/tomcat
# this assumes that TOMCAT_USER is defined correctly
# in the EnvironmentFile
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/install -d \
   -o ${TOMCAT_USER} -m 0700 /run/tomcat
ExecStart=/usr/libexec/tomcat/server start
# etc etc

If you go that route, then after editing the service file, do

   systemctl daemon-reload
   systemctl start tomcat

I'd recommend the tmpfiles route myself, but either will get you where
you want to go.