[CentOS] CentOS 7 selinux

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue May 9 20:27:27 UTC 2017

On May 9, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I make a change to /etc/sysconfig/selinux do I have to restart anything
> for the change to take effect?

Isn’t the correct answer “yes” for every single file under that directory?

If it were otherwise, you’d have services continually restarting to look for updated settings.  Then because of all the resulting inadvertent lock-outs and other failures, you’d have big block comments at the top of those files telling you not to save the file until you’re sure you want those settings applied immediately.

If you’re trying to entirely disable SELinux with this change, you’ll have to reboot. If you’re changing between enforcing and permissive, there are commands for that:

    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/148890/how-to-disable-selinux-without-restart