[CentOS] Best practices for copying lots of files machine-to-machine

Vanhorn, Mike michael.vanhorn at wright.edu
Wed May 17 20:31:40 UTC 2017

On 5/17/17, 12:03 PM, "CentOS on behalf of ken" <centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:

>An entire filesystem (~180g) needs to be copied from one local linux
>machine to another.  Since both systems are on the same local subnet,
>there's no need for encryption.
>
>I've done this sort of thing before a few times in the past in different
>ways, but wanted to get input from others on what's worked best for them.

If shutting the machines down is feasible, I’d put the source hard drive into the destination machine and use rsync to copy it from one drive to the other (rather than using rsync to copy from one machine to the other over the network).

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn at wright.edu