[CentOS] Best practices for copying lots of files machine-to-machine

Vanhorn, Mike michael.vanhorn at wright.edu
Thu May 18 13:15:44 UTC 2017

On 5/17/17, 5:27 PM, "CentOS on behalf of m.roth at 5-cent.us" <centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>Why? I just rsync'd 159G in less than one workday from one server to
>another. Admittedly, we allegedly have a 1G network, but....

Well, I’ve don’t recall ever having to rsync more than 100G (although I am doing multiple rsyncs of about 86G as we speak), and I’ve never been able to do it with machines on their own, isolated switch (so my rsync’s are competing with everything else on the network), and it’s been a while since I’ve actually tried it multiple ways and measured it, but in my experience I’ve never see the network outperform the system bus.

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn at wright.edu