[CentOS] more recent perl version?

hw hw at gc-24.de
Wed May 24 13:21:09 UTC 2017

Pete Biggs schrieb:

>>> If this sort of stance seems risible to you, you probably shouldn’t
>>> be using CentOS.  This is what distinguishes a “stable” type of OS
>>> from a “bleeding edge” one.
>>
>> When a version of a software has been released 20 years ago,
>> that doesn´t mean it´s more stable than a version of that
>> software which is being released today.
>
> Not "software", Warren said "OS" - it's the whole ecosystem that is
> more stable if the versions of the software that's within it are kept
> consistent.
>

>> Of course, you can consider "never change the version of the
>> software" as something making for a stable OS.  But what about
>> the bug fixes?
>
> Critical bug fixes are back ported, if appropriate, into the version of
> the software packaged with the OS - that is the point of the commitment
> by RH to support the OS.

That´s a good thing.  I thought they were more about security updates
than bug fixes.

>> The software has been written with perl 5.20.1, which is already
>> rather old.
>
> As far as I can see it hadn't been released when RHEL7 was released, so
>   there's no chance of it being the default version.
>
> As others have said, if you need bang up-to-date versions of software,
> then RHEL/CentOS is not for you.

So far, the perl version is the only problem I´ve found.  I´d prefer
getting things to work with Centos rather than using multiple different
distributions on the servers, including the VMs.  It would make things
easier.