[CentOS] System Time Source

Chris Olson

chris_e_olson at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 13:53:41 UTC 2017

One of our STEM interns recently observed that there are
inexpensive clocks that sync via radio to standard time
services.  This begged a question about why every computer
would not have a radio module to receive time.  Our senior
staff did not have a good answer or if time from such a
radio module would be supported by the operating system.

When I was a student, such questions would have earned me
extra homework assignments.  We now have only PC directed
relationships with interns so we don't assign any extra
homework for curiosity.  Can anyone help with the answers?

Thanks and best regards.