[CentOS] more recent perl version?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed May 24 19:39:52 UTC 2017

On 05/23/2017 11:44 AM, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> are there packages replacing the ancient perl version in
> Centos 7 with a more recent one, like 5.24?  At least the
> state feature is required.

As a side note, here is why RHEL (and therefore CentOS, since we rebuild
RHEL source code to create our base OS) has old software:

https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting

If you just spent $5,000,000.00 on a new Point of Sales software for a
couple thousand stores, you might want to keep it in production for a
bit longer than 6 months on a linux install.  You also would like to
make sure the system is secure, etc.

There are 2 concepts for updating .. RHEL/CentOS provides a secure OS
that works for 10 years without major changes to ABI/API server related
systems .. other distros do updates every 6 months, etc.  If you are
looking for latest and greatest/cutting edge type functionality ..
CentOS is likely not the OS you want.

If you are looking for an OS that runs like you installed it for 10
years and remains secure, then CentOS is the OS you want.