[CentOS] CentOS 6 dhcpd custom log issues

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Fri May 26 18:50:40 UTC 2017

I've done more testing and I've found something very interesting.  I've
tested logging with our entire string (which will be below) with slight
changes to the 'if' statement solely looking at the 'dhcp-message-type = '
parameter.  Of the four message types we routinely see some work and some
don't: (ie: if option dhcp-message-type = # { log...)

Message-Type 1 (DISCOVER): logging works
Message-Type 2 (OFFER):  logging does NOT work
Message-Type 3 (REQUEST) logging works
Message-Type 5 (ACK) logging does NOT work

And by 'does not work' I mean it doesn't log anything at all.  As if it's
not matching on those message types at all. I know they are being logged in
syslog, where all these messages are logged to, so I know we're getting
OFFERs and ACKs, as they are logged normally in syslog.

So, anyone have any idea WTF is going on here?  I suppose I could log based
on REQUEST, but I'm afraid our data would be inaccurate if a request isn't
ACK'd.

919-460-3330 <(919)%20460-3330> (opt 1) • mark.haney at neonova.net