[CentOS] Low random entropy

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.STONEHAM.ma.us
Sat May 27 01:11:45 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 02:35:21AM +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:
> > Am 27.05.2017 um 01:09 schrieb Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
> >
> > I am use to low random entropy on my arm boards, not an intel.
> >
> > On my Lenovo x120e,
> >
> > cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
> >
> > reports 3190 bits of entropy.
> >
> > On my armv7 with Centos7 I would get 130 unless I installed rng-tools and then I get ~1300.  SSH into one and it drops back to 30! for a few minutes.  Sigh.
> >
> > Anyway on my new Zotac nano ad12 with an AMD E-1800 duo core, I am seeing 180.
> >
> > I installed rng-tools and no change.  Does anyone here know how to improve the random entropy?
>

> http://issihosts.com/haveged/
>
> EPEL: yum install haveged

Another option involves open source hardware, at http://onerng.info/
which is a hardware entropy generator. Lots of discussion on how it
works, and why.

the one I have doesn't seem to work on a usb3.0 port (on my desktop PC),
but that may not be its fault.