[CentOS] Basic authentication - maybe off topoc

Thu May 11 19:09:02 UTC 2017
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Thursday, May 11, 2017 14:53:28 -0400
> From: Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com>
>
>> Is this a 'curl' question, a 'How do you write CGI?' question or a
>> general question about how HTTP works?
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> This was just a general question on why I'm not seeing what I
> expected. I'm using CentOS 7.3, I have written CGI for years (not
> using user & pass), I've used http for years - I was just hoping
> someone might be able to shed some light on why I'm not seeing
> the REMOTE_USER. I did several searches and did not find any
> resolution.

I can't tell from your description if this might be the issue, but
you will only see the REMOTE_USER value if the resource being
requested requires basic authentication. You don't see it, even if
passed, on pages where authentication isn't required.