[CentOS] Best practices for copying lots of files machine-to-machine

Wed May 17 20:52:18 UTC 2017
Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com>

> If shutting the machines down is feasible, I’d put the source hard drive
> into the destination machine and use rsync to copy it from one drive to the
> other (rather than using rsync to copy from one machine to the other over
> the network).

I'm not so sure about that. Probably the disk is the bottleneck, not the
network. Assuming that one of the drives is a 7.2krpm drive it will have a
sequential read / write performance of somewhere around 120MB/s although
newer spinning drives do seem a tad faster than that. Running uncompressed
Rsync over SSH over a Gbit network I have seen more than 100MB/s however if
your files are compressible then you can see much better performance.

If your ethernet network is 100Mbit/s or the source and destination