[CentOS] What is in a yum group

Wed May 24 14:07:44 UTC 2017

On 05/24/2017 12:03 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 5/23/2017 3:52 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I want to install Xfce on a ClearOS server.  They have not defined
>> any desktop groups (actually no groups other than minimal).  But lots
>> of Xfce rpms are in their repos.
>>
>> How can I see what rpms Centos would install with a 'yum group install'?
>>
>> Then I get to install vnc server and set up the client right...
>

> to *really* see what its going to install...
>
>     yum groupinstall "Some Group"
>
> then answer N (no) after it lists the packages it wants to install.
> this will show you not only whats in the group, but also any
> prerequisites.

Not needed.  I want to install Xfce desktop on a ClearOS system. They do
not provide a group for any  of the desktops.  So all I need is a list
of rpms that create the desktop and let yum do its job from there.  Of
course, I need to read the manpage to figure out how to provide the rpms
from a file that I got from the group info output....