[CentOS] more recent perl version?

Wed May 24 20:16:15 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Johnny Hughes schrieb:
> On 05/23/2017 11:44 AM, hw wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> are there packages replacing the ancient perl version in
>> Centos 7 with a more recent one, like 5.24?  At least the
>> state feature is required.
>
> As a side note, here is why RHEL (and therefore CentOS, since we rebuild
> RHEL source code to create our base OS) has old software:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting
>
> If you just spent $5,000,000.00 on a new Point of Sales software for a
> couple thousand stores, you might want to keep it in production for a
> bit longer than 6 months on a linux install.  You also would like to
> make sure the system is secure, etc.
>
> There are 2 concepts for updating .. RHEL/CentOS provides a secure OS
> that works for 10 years without major changes to ABI/API server related
> systems .. other distros do updates every 6 months, etc.  If you are
> looking for latest and greatest/cutting edge type functionality ..
> CentOS is likely not the OS you want.
>
> If you are looking for an OS that runs like you installed it for 10
> years and remains secure, then CentOS is the OS you want.

The problem is that the expensive POS software doesn´t run on Centos
because the perl version Centos uses is too old.  It is so old that you
don´t need to look for the greatest or latest software to run into
problems; it suffices when you look for something that works.

Since there is a recent perl version available, there has to be some way
to use it.