[CentOS] more recent perl version?

Wed May 24 23:16:27 UTC 2017
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> The problem is that the expensive POS software doesn´t run on Centos
> because the perl version Centos uses is too old.

Life is a compromise. If the expensive POS software isn't designed to
run on RHEL/CentOS then you will need to run it on a different OS. I
know your desire is to keep everything the same, but that's the
compromise.

> Since there is a recent perl version available, there has to be some way
> to use it.

No doubt there is - but the compromise is the amount of work necessary
to get it functioning in a satisfactory and stable way.

I wonder if you might be better of using something like Fedora since
it's relatively close in structure to CentOS - it really depends on how
 many machines you need to support and if the 6 month upgrade cycle is
going to be too onerous. If nothing else it might tide you over until
RHEL 8 - which might well be based on Fedora 26 or 27 if you look at
other upgrade cycles.

P.